So, I've been reading Lillian and Wendy Y.'s laundry posts along with all of the comments that should be posts on their own blogs - not naming any names - and I've decided to do one, too.
I have to say that laundry is the chore that I semi enjoy doing. Well, that was before three kids! Growing up my mom always let me watch TV while I folded laundry. Actually she taught me to never just sit and watch something. When I was done folding laundry or if there was no laundry to fold I would do sit ups, push ups, and tricep exercises. The push ups were harder to do because I couldn't really watch while I did them. Fast forward to life before kids...I would gladly fold away while we watched a movie or show while my husband would just sit and enjoy. It was fine back then because it wasn't that much laundry. As each little blessing was added to our family, the pile became bigger and bigger! I used to do laundry every Saturday. That was laundry day. Then the pile and loads became too overwhelming, so I decided to do laundry twice a week. I think it was every Monday and Thursday. I carried this on when we only had four people to do laundry for. Recently I learned about fly lady. I LOVE this site. It's done by someone who tried to help you be more organized in cleaning and so many other aspects of your life. You can check her out at http://www.flylady.net/ She says "A load a day keeps the chaos away." Now with three kiddos I completely agree. Now I do laundry every single day. It's nice because the loads are smaller and much more manageable. She says to bring a load of laundry out of your bedroom first thing in the morning and stick it in the washer. Then after breakfast reboot it. The great thing is that I've taught Ali and Sammie to put the clothes in the dryer for us. They like taking turns pulling the dryer sheet, they both like the smell it. They then pull the lint thing out and Sammie usually scratches all the fuzz off and throws it away. Ali will close the door and they push the button together to start it. They are just starting to fold their own laundry. Although, they wear dresses most of the time. So they need help with those. Ali can put the dresses on hangers and I'll hang it up for her because she can't reach. They are in charge of putting their own clothes away. If they can't reach I bring a chair for them. Their drawers are not nice and neat, but they are doing the work. We'll work on keeping it organized one of these days.

this is great teresa!!! i'm going to look up the fly lady--i can definitely use some organizational help. heheh. way to go ali and sammie! what great helpers you are to mommy.
ReplyDeleteTeresa, do you "shine your sink" everyday? That's the only thing I remember from the flylady site. I give kudos to you... there is no way I could keep that up.
ReplyDeleteyay, another laundry post! thanks for the tip to fly lady! btw, ali and sammie's bob cuts are adorable!=)
ReplyDeletethis is so great! I used to read Flylady. Should check her out again. The girls' haircuts are so cute!! good idea about doing laundry everyday. I should do that just so that the pile doesn't amass too much. Thx for sharing!
ReplyDeleteLillian-check out her sample schedule. It is really helpful to see how one person makes it all work.
ReplyDeleteJoy-I'm going to scrub it, only shine it once a week. It takes up too much water!
Wendy-which Wendy are you? I'm guessing you're Wendy Y. because other Wendy has seen their hair cuts. Thanks! Don't look too closely. I've given up on them. They are just going to be the way they are. It's too hard to get them to sit still for so long.
Caroline-Thanks! I'm glad you like them. Wow! How did you hear about her? Yeah, I like small loads. Huge ones are just too overwhelming.