Karen Felten is retiring this year from 34 years of teaching. I had the great privilege of teaching 2nd grade next door to her for three years. She said at her retirement party that her husband, Bob accused her of having an affair with the custodian because she stayed so late after school everyday! That made me laugh so hard! Well, the truth was she was with me! It was nice to know that I could always go to Karen when I needed help late at night.
I'll never forget the day after I found out I was pregnant with Ali. I was VERY scared. We were not in a place to have a baby. My husband was looking for a job and I didn't see how we could "make it work." At lunch time, I dropped off my kids and Karen happened to be on her way to the cafeteria to drop off her kids. I was on the brink of tears when I asked her, "Can we talk?" She brought her lunch to her room and I completely unraveled. She let me cry and cry and cry. Lunch for teachers is always very short. By the time we finally get the students out there, get our lunches together, there is very little time left. She didn't rush me at all. She listened to me and prayed for me. She helped me have faith that God would provide a way.
Three children later, my dear friend Karen is done with teaching! I am so happy for her. I'm so glad we had those late nights at work together. She walked with me and helped me to love teaching 2nd graders. She was generous with her great ideas and gracious whenever I made mistakes.
I'll never forget the day after I found out I was pregnant with Ali. I was VERY scared. We were not in a place to have a baby. My husband was looking for a job and I didn't see how we could "make it work." At lunch time, I dropped off my kids and Karen happened to be on her way to the cafeteria to drop off her kids. I was on the brink of tears when I asked her, "Can we talk?" She brought her lunch to her room and I completely unraveled. She let me cry and cry and cry. Lunch for teachers is always very short. By the time we finally get the students out there, get our lunches together, there is very little time left. She didn't rush me at all. She listened to me and prayed for me. She helped me have faith that God would provide a way.
Three children later, my dear friend Karen is done with teaching! I am so happy for her. I'm so glad we had those late nights at work together. She walked with me and helped me to love teaching 2nd graders. She was generous with her great ideas and gracious whenever I made mistakes.
Karen opened up her beautiful retirement gifts. She got an exquisite gold bracelet and gold hoop earrings.
Karen, I love you very much! Thank you for being such a good friend to me.

what a blessing! and God totally knew that Timothy had to have her this last year before she retired and he was totally blessed to have her for his 2nd grade teacher! praise God!! she's an awesome teacher!
ReplyDeleteIt's great that there was someone like that in your life at the time you really needed someone just like her.
ReplyDeleteMel
What a blessing to have found such a special friend in Karen- when and where you needed one most! God is so good!
ReplyDeleteGod is good to give you such a wonderful role model! I'm sure the girls are reaping the benefits of Karen's talent now too!
ReplyDelete