Tuesday, September 15, 2009

drum roll please...

The moment you've all been waiting for....Josiah's second DOC band!
before - all white
Saturday - after the first coat of paint
Tuesday night - after second coat of paint, vinyls from Maui - I didn't know I ordered them from Maui until after I placed the order!, and sealer.


Why decorate it? It's really all for me. The white helmet makes it seem very medical. People who don't know anything about the DOC band give us strange stares every time we go out. By decorating it, it becomes more of an accessory. It's like he's dressing up all the time. It really helps. People feel more at ease to talk or ask about it, which makes me feel better about the whole thing. I want to tell them, "After all he's been through you're asking about this helmet?! This is nothing compared to all the other stuff."

7 comments:

  1. He looks great! Love the Hawaiian flower design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Joy! It really helps to decorate it. It's an emotional thing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Evelyn. It wasn't the color I started out with! The first one was more of a navy blue. That paint came right off with the vinyl transfer tape. So, I'm glad you like it because it wasn't my first choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a beautiful helmet teresa!!! and what a labor of love. :)

    ReplyDelete