Soccer. SIGH. So Ali saw some kids playing soccer at Live Oak park and she wanted to play, too. We had done a Mommy and me soccer once, but that was a long time ago. She needed some encouragement, but I was always playing with her. This time around soccer has been soooooo challenging.
First practice: They play this game where this little boy and Ali have to run and get the ball. They are supposed to run towards the ball and dribble it towards the net. If the other person has the ball, then you're supposed to try and steal it from them. Then kick it into the goal. The other boy gets to it first and Ali tried to kick it. He yells at her, "NO! It's my ball. Don't get it." And she starts crying. At home she says she never ever wants to play soccer ever again.
Second practice: Same game. Same boy. I had a talk with her. I told her to listen to what the coach says not the other kids. So, they both go for the ball. He gets it and she stays on him. They both kind of bring it towards the goal. At the last second she kicks it in the goal. He starts crying. I was so proud of her for staying with him and not giving up. It was a great moment, but she made the other boy cry. So, I didn't want to appear to be too happy. I sure made a big deal of it when we came home.
Third and Fourth practice: She's getting a little more comfortable. It's going great. I'm pleased with her effort.
Most recent practice/game: She did pretty well during the practice. Then we attempted to play a game with another team. Coach put her as a forward. She just stood there as I yelled, "Run, Ali! Kick the ball!" She was a statue. The ball and the other players were way over there and she was still in the same spot. She would not move. Come on, Ali! Go towards the ball. Oh my goodness. They take a break and she says, "I'm scared." Those boys are fast and they do kick hard. So, how do I get Ali to not be scared of them? She eventually did run and I yelled, "Yeah, Ali! You're running!" She was not near the ball, but she was running. At one point she did fall, so she was semi close to the ball. We were so proud of that fall. The other parents came up to her afterwards and said, "Ali, way to take one for the team." Yes, my daughter was the one that fell! She did pick herself up and kept on running along side the others. She didn't make a scene, which is something we're working on. So I am happy about that.
And Wendy (who brought Nicole and Amanda) said she saw her foot touch the ball. Later I said, "Ali, Auntie Wendy said you kicked the ball!" She said, "No I didn't." Ha! Maybe we can touch the ball next time. The coach did put the ball right in front of her and said, "Ali, pass it to Devin." So, her foot did touch the ball at one point.
I guess this is my dream. I want her to try. I want her to get in there with the best of them. How do you teach your child it's OK to kind of push them, just not too hard? With Ali if another kid is going for the ball then she will just stand there and let them. Frustration!
Yes, I can't help being the soccer mom. I think it has always been a secret dream of mine. When my brother played I think I may have stepped over the line from sister to coach. Yes, they had a coach, but he never told them to do anything! Maybe because I was doing all the yelling. A couple of months later I found out that he was one of the parents at my school. Nice going. I really don't know what it is about soccer. I think soccer and basketball bring this out in me. Tomorrow brings another practice/game. We'll see how it goes. I'll try and post some pictures soon.
Clutter Rehab is back new and improved!
3 months ago

No comments:
Post a Comment