Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Sammie- our two year old chef

So, I'm back. My computer died on me and my resourceful husband fixed it. 

I started school today. It was the first day of school. With this pregnancy I feel like it's going to be a long three months. Fortunately we have some parents who are going to come in and help us out. Just walking up to the office to copy things and carry them back is very challenging for me at this stage. So, I am very thankful. 

I learned something new today. Sammie, our two year old, loves to help me cook! Well, I'll start off by saying that she was unhappy and upset for no apparent reason when I came home. At least, I couldn't figure it out. She was throwing these little fits all over the couch that were borderline full blown tantrums. On school/work days I come home exhausted from everything, so I let Ali and Sammie watch Sesame Street while I cook. Otherwise it is just too frustrating. I learned that Sammie hit Ali earlier today and I needed her to apologize for hitting her sister. She refused and turned on her attitude. By then I knew that I really needed to get dinner started, so I resorted to bribing her. I told her that she wasn't going to get to watch Elmo until she said, "Sorry, jae jae for da da you." This made her even more upset. I gave up and started cooking, which cranked up her attitude even more! After a little while I came back and gave her another chance. All along, Ali was upset because she couldn't watch anything either because Sammie wouldn't apologize. This was not well thought out parenting! I just needed to cook dinner! Anyways, Sammie finally apologized and they were then give their Sesame Street fix. Ali was completely fixated on the show, while Sammie walked around not really happy. She then went back to throwing her mini tantrum and I said, "Sammie, do you want to help me cook?" She stopped her whining immediately, came over, and said, "Yeah." She climbed on the chair and tried to help me pull the ears off of the corn. Her attitude was completely transformed during this cooking time. She was so happy and content helping me. I was afraid she would burn herself, but she didn't. She listened to everything I said with a great attitude and she placed her little hands where I told her to. I was blown away. Here is a list of what she did:
1. Pulled ears off the corn 
2. Helped me pour the mushrooms into the pan
3. Helped me pour and measure the chicken broth -then poured it into the pan
4. Helped me pour and measure the whipping cream - then poured it into the pan
5. Helped me pour olive oil onto the pasta
6. Mixed the pasta and olive oil
7. Poured the sun dried tomatoes into the pan
8. Helped me pour and measure the parmesan cheese - then poured it into the pan
9. Listened and waited patiently for me to get things ready in between each of these steps!!! 

Granted as soon as we were done cooking, she started her tantrums! I think she is a kinesthetic learner. She learns by doing. She loves to help. If she's not helping, she gets upset. Maybe one day, she will cook for us! All this time, Ali was very happily watching her Sesame Street while Sammie helped me cook dinner. I'm mostly writing this down so that I'll remember this moment. 

3 comments:

  1. We've discovered that Enna loves cooking too and always wants to sit on the counter and help. I've had to learn that although it may take longer or be a bit more messy than I'd like it to, it's worth letting her help. And you're right about how their transformed in the process of cooking. Hopefully we can raise little chefs that will really cook meals for us when they get older! At least that's what Enna tells me she'll do for me. I'm counting on it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's so neat. i can picture sammie helping you. she'll be a big help getting dinner ready when baby #3 comes =) i'm hoping one of the boys will be interested in cooking too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum. sounds like dinner was good! some kind of creamy mushroom chicken thing.
    i love the chefs hats the girls have on in the cookie pic!

    ReplyDelete