Tuesday, April 29, 2008

bed rest


So, we tried to keep this pregnancy a secret as long as we could because we knew that my parents would NOT be happy about it. My first thought when I saw the positive pregnancy test was "My mom is going to kill me." We thought I was nine weeks, but I was only 7 weeks and 5 days. I think I am now 8 weeks and a few days. Last Monday morning my husband left for a business trip to Dallas and that night I started bleeding. Sammie kept crying out for him. It was so bad that I had to drive them around the neighborhood "looking" for daddy. Nothing would calm them down and the doctor on call had just told me to go to the ER because I was bleeding. Needless to say, it was a really rough night. Tuesday morning, I went to see my doctor and she said the baby's heartbeat was strong. So, that was great news. I couldn't really hear it above Sammie's screaming. She was really scared throughout the whole exam. Then she put me on two weeks of bed rest. I had to tell my mom by myself because my husband was still away on his trip. Luckily, my friend let me borrow two shirts one said, "Big Sister" in English and the other said it in both English and Chinese. I was really nervous because she has taken every opportunity (even those that are not opportunities) to tell me, "You see, that's why you shouldn't have another baby."

They both had their shirts on and sweaters over them. She knew as soon as Ali didn't want to take her sweater off that something was up. She said, "AGAIN?!" and then proceeded to ask all the questions that I knew she would ask. "Do you want to have three girls? Did you prepare? I taught you how to prepare, did you prepare? (by this she meant, did you make sure it's a boy?) Didn't you use protection? Did you want a third? Are you going to get your tubes tied after this? etc. " Then I started crying because I couldn't take it anymore.

My dad said, "Mom just told me the good news." Then he gave me a hug. "I thought you knew how to prepare. Don't you know how to prepare better?"

I then I had to leave the girls with them while I went to make sub plans for the next three days. With the help of two other seasoned teachers we worked until 10 PM.


Here is a pictures that my mom wanted to take. It was very forced, but here it is.

Wednesday night my husband came home. I don't know when I've been more happier to see him.

Thursday night, I bled really bad. It was so scary. We ended up reading Psalms. Well, he read it over me and the baby. At this point, we thought we may have lost the baby.

Friday afternoon, we were able to see the doctor. She found the baby's heartbeat and said that he/she had grown since Tuesday! We were truly amazed. What a miracle! I cried because it was such a miracle. She put me on a more strict bed rest. No getting up unless I'm going to the bathroom, showering, or eating. Then she extended my bed rest to a month! I am 8 weeks and she wants me to hit 12 weeks before I can get off bed rest. All I could think about was how my job share partner was going to react, how state testing is the next two weeks, how I'm not going to be able to help with setting up for open house! I really couldn't believe it. Who was going to be my sub and was he/she going to be able to help with open house? How was I going to be able to make lesson plans and get it all done? On top of this I have to make sure that Ali and Sammie are taken care of.

Thankfully, my in-laws were excited for us. We told them last night and they were genuinely happy for us.

So, today was Day 1 of the month of bed rest. Thankfully, Becky was here to help play with the girls. She is such a blessing. Then my friend, Joy came and took Ali for three hours and brought dinner for my whole family! When she came by, the kids played for awhile and by the time they left my husband came home! AMAZING! I am truly blessed. I feel so loved. It was a great first day.

1 comment:

  1. i want the little one in bed but once i get her nappy off she won't get much rest

    ReplyDelete