Ali and Sammie kept asking why baby Jesus was crying. It was uncharacteristically cold that night. So, poor baby Jesus had to come out in the cold every time! Then Ali asked, "We saw it three times. How did baby Jesus come out of Mary's tummy again and again? How did they put him back in her tummy?" I did tell her that they weren't the real Mary, Joseph, and Jesus. But she may have forgotten.
Christmas takes on a completely different meaning through the eyes of my children. Teaching them the true meaning of Christmas has been so meaningful for me. When Ali was maybe one, I remember my co-worker asking me if I was excited that Christmas was coming. At that time Christmas had always been about giving presents. Growing up, my memories are filled with last minute Christmas shopping. Stress, stress, and more stress. I never really enjoyed it. I always just longed for the days after Christmas because I could sleep in after more days of after Christmas shopping!
Seeing "Mary and Joseph" walking into Bethlehem my heart was filled with so much emotion. I surprised myself by tearing up as I saw them. Coming from a mother's heart, it is so hard to imagine such a young girl - maybe 14 or 15 - carrying the Messiah in her womb and all that she had to go through.
Here is a little video of it. I didn't get the entrance of everyone (Mary, Joseph, the Wise men), but it gives you an idea of what it was like.

so funny teresa! i love the questions ali was asking. sounds exactly like something luke and jesse would ask. must have been truly confusing. :D
ReplyDeletethat's so cool, teresa! we just went to watch a ballet show put on by kay/bekah/juli's ballet school called 'the mystery of Christmas', a christian redo of the nutcracker. anyway, when they held up the brand new baby, i was moved to tears that Jesus came in such a frail and vulnerable form. the King of kings came in a form of a baby! there is something about watching the enactment of Jesus' coming, huh? :)
ReplyDeleteLillian-yes, it was confusing. But still beautiful.
ReplyDeleteEmily - WOW! Did they perform in it? Is Lillian going to post a video? Ali is doing a 10 min. performance of the nutcracker on Tuesday! I would love to see the Christian redo of it.
ReplyDeleteSo humble and vulnerable indeed. I'm glad I wasn't the only one. =0)
thx, for informing us about Bethlehem Village. we are still talking about it now! i'm so glad the girls got to experience it! thank you!
ReplyDelete