Today was Josiah's 2nd annual team meeting. Last year, we had someone watch the girls so we could both be at this marathon meeting. But this year we decided that I would just go. The day started out with Josiah waking up at 5:00a.m. - not for the meeting, just because. Well, I think he couldn't find his burp cloth! Since he was up so early, he fell asleep on the way to Speech. He did well there, but then fell asleep again on the way to Cedar Sinai. The parking lot was full, so I was told to try the parking across the street. That was blocked off with cones! Thankfully I found the secret way in. I went in wear the ambulances and trucks enter and rushed sleepy Josiah and all of our toys and snacks to his meeting.
When I woke him again the second time, he was SUPER cranky! Nothing I brought seemed to console him and the meeting hadn't even started, yet! This was NOT a good sign. Thankfully, I had brought a little farm and animals. I made the animals slide down his leg and onto his tummy with some sound effects, of course. This made him laugh! Aaaah. Finally. After 5 minutes of this, he came around. I was so relieved!
Josiah is now 24 pounds and 34 inches tall. This makes him in the 10-25% in weight and 50th% in height.
Dr. Newman - ENT came in first and discussed his coughing and throwing up issues with me. She looked him over and said his tubes look great and suggested we take him to see a GI specialist. Maybe his reflux is returning?Next the oral surgeon and pediatric dentist came in and checked out his teeth. They said they looked great and that we should get his teeth checked out every 6 months starting March or April. We should brush his teeth morning and night.
Stacy - Speech therapist came in next and gave some suggestions for helping him round his lips more. Use a vibrating tool, tap his lips and around his mouth to stimulate his lips, help him pucker up his lips when we kiss him - do it in a playful way, whistles, McDonald's straws are better because they are bigger than the thin straws.
Dr. Graham - Genetist - Oh, I really like Dr. Graham. Funny side note. Tami, our coordinator asked if I needed to see Dr. Graham today. I guess because Josiah doesn't have any genetic issues. I said, "Yes." just because I really like Dr. Graham and I wanted his opinion on how Josiah is doing. =0) Noted many times how busy and active Josiah is. He just observed him for quite awhile, which I liked. He let him do his thing. He is very smart, but he is also gentle and playful. It is very rare to find all of these qualities in a doctor.
Some of Dr. Graham's comments:
- Josiah still has a slight head tilt towards the left
- Does he have a raspy voice?
- He believes his cleft lip and palate is an isolated incident - not related to anything else - he doesn't have any kind of syndrome
- Josiah still has a fistula in his palate
- He listened to his heart and lungs for quite a while - lungs were very clear and couldn't hear his heart murmur! Could it be gone?! This is the first time someone hasn't heard it. He did say it could be just him, though.
- Josiah is well fed and nourished
- Dr. Graham is honest - doesn't know why he is coughing and throwing up. He doesn't think that taking him to see a GI would help because it doesn't seem to be reflux related since it always follows a coughing spell - he said he would talk to the team about this
- He commented on how I have done all the right things in regards to his care over his coughing and throwing up - do you see why I like Dr Graham? =0)
- He would like to hear more speech from Josiah - he asked him a bunch of questions and Josiah did not respond until I asked him in Chinese. I was the translator.
Done and asleep for the third time today.Little did he know he had a surprise waiting for him at home...
Ali and Sammie decorated Josiah's room with cars from Cars movie because they are his favorite! I thought it was so sweet. They wanted to surprise him and boy, did they surprise him! I wish I got his reaction on video. He pointed up and them and yelled, "CARS!" over and over again! He was so excited about them. 



wow teresa. that meeting sounded exhausting. not to mention the whole rest of the year with all the things you had to worry about with josiah. you guys have done WELL. time to celebrate! :D
ReplyDeleteali and sammie are SO cute!
Teresa, you have done a great job with Josiah--you are so detail oriented in making sure he has all he needs to grow! Praise God! He is in such capable & loving hands.
ReplyDeleteLillian-yup, pretty exhausting. But I heard that CHLA's meetings are 8 hours long. So, I can't complain too much. Thank you for your encouraging words. Let's celebrate by skyping with you guys!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Gracee. I have definitely lost some of the details and have needed to ask people to repeat themselves because it's a big much to keep track of. But, yes. Praise God! I'm so happy he is doing well.
ReplyDeleteWow Teresa! What a day you and Josiah had! Sounds like you both did really well considering. Dr. Graham sounds awesome! Keep up the great work- you are doing amazing!!! :)
ReplyDeletep.s. Love the pictures of Josiah- oh soo sweet!
what a day, teresa! praise God for all the wonderful reports! and i agree with all the other comments! you have been an AMAZING mom to josiah!
ReplyDeleteand i love the way his sisters decorated his room! and i wish i could have seen his expression, too! :)
It was so good hear all the details of how Josiah is doing. You are doing an amazing job juggling so many things for his care!!!
ReplyDeletePraise God for such great progress and for great practitioners like Dr. Graham! I love the pics of him. He looks so big in the one with him sleeping in the car seat! He's so precious!
Ali and Sammie's pictures for him are so sweet! I can only imagine how rewarding his reaction was for all. =) That was so sweet of them! Y'all have raised some big heart-ed girls!
ReplyDeleteconley is 24.8 lbs, so perhaps that explains why i never think josiah has any problems eating!
ReplyDeletei think i had a misconception on what these annual meetings were like - i thought it was like a roundtable where after everyone had their individual assessments, there was some kind of discussion with the parents? maybe that comes later?
does anyone say anything about a sensitive gag reflex for josiah? ever try reaching out to davin? maybe i'll send him a note. thank goodness for fb!
and yes, echo all the dr graham fans. pediatric doctors should know that validation, encouragement and support for the parents goes such a long way and anything to minimize anxiety and stress is also so important.